Adding LED Spark Plugs to a Radial Engine Kit

Shop Forums Build Threads Adding LED Spark Plugs to a Radial Engine Kit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Don
    Keymaster

Completed View - Plug Firing

The following information was provided by Alan Duke.  This was not his first Radial Engine build.  I have published it in the build thread forum to share it with all of our users.  Thanks, Alan, for your creativity and sharing.

Alan Introduces this engine:

This one I built a little differently as it is bolted together with nylon bolts and can be taken apart. Also added some colour and a ignition system with LEDs as spark plugs. Because the distributer is mounted on the back I had to make a motor mount so it could be mounted to a flat surface.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Don.
    Don
    Keymaster

Alan Duke was an early supporter of Morris Models on our first Kickstarter.  He purchased both the Radial and the V-Twin engines – at that time our only products.  He sent pictures upon completion.

Don
    Keymaster

When Alan decided to build another radial engine, he decided to make it a show stopper.  He painted each of the parts as he built them, using three separate coats of paint.  I asked him about the paint, and this was what he said.

I used Tamiya Acrylic model Paint. The parts need to be well sanded and it takes three coats. Let it dry for several days and you should have no problems.

Alan's Paint

It looks like Alan color-coded the parts – an interesting concept.

Don
    Keymaster

Alan fabbed several parts to do his conversion.

Parts

He notes

• Distributer parts left to right.
    • Distributer disc with 7 reed switches
    • Mounting plate
    • Drive gears.
    Don
    Keymaster

Installing the parts, we get the following:

Installation

Alan notes the following:

• Mounted in engine showing the gear placement.
    • 23 tooth gear was an extra from the V – Twin kit
    • 46 tooth gear with the magnet I made

I note the following:  Impressive!

Don
    Keymaster

I love the quality of Alan’s work.  Note the semi-circular slots that allow him to set the timing.

Alan notes:

Ready for Wiring.

Don
    Keymaster

All wired and ready to go. I taped of the power supply for the case lighting, a 9 volt battery would also work.

Don
    Keymaster

Alan mounted the complete engine in a case with LED lights.

Of course his case is also a thing of beauty.

Don
    Keymaster

Alan ended his email with this picture:

Full Credits

He noted that he was providing “Full Credits.”  I think that he deserves a lot of credit – and he inspired me to add ignition to my first rotary build – but that is a topic for another forum post.

Thanks, Alan, for sharing and inspiration.

Damon Humes
    Participant

This is really cool. Would you happen to have a pattern of the distributor that I could use to cut out on a scroll saw. I’m building this with my daughter and think she we get a kick out of adding led lights.

spmartin1
    Participant

I too would like a pattern for those pieces, I want to install led’s in my model.  also I would like a wiring schematic on how you wired it up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.